Make lots of money by buying and reselling used LEGO!

You may also like...

22 Responses

1. Dan says:

So how DID you get it back across the country?

I don’t usually resell used sets that I get this way, but I’ve bought a few lots this way for myself. One trick I’ve used is to save the Craigslist ad before I go to pick up the LEGO – that way I have their original description and photos to refer to after the fact.

2. Tom Alphin says:

@Dan, I borrowed a large suitcase and duffel bag from family. Thankfully we were flying Southwest airlines so we could check the bags for free!

3. Allison says:

Hi Tom,
    I have TONS of Lego that my son has outgrown, and I am thinking of selling it. It is mostly Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Coast Guard (I think we had every set of the CG series). Plus hundreds of mini-figures. Should I sell by the pound? Regroup back into sets? I have almost all of the instruction booklets as well. Spent a small fortune on it, so would like to get the most return as possible…
    Thanks,
    Allison

4. Tom Alphin says:

@Allison, It is labor intensive to sort them back into sets, but it will give you a much better return than selling by the pound. It really depends on how much you value your time.

You might be able to do a little better than selling by the pound to sell the “complete lot” and clearly display the various manuals you have and the associated minifigures. You could also sell the minifigures separately, and then sell the rest by the pound.

It also seems like LEGO sells for better prices in different parts of the country. For example, In Seattle, used LEGO sells for nearly twice the cost than in Richmond, Virginia.

• Holly says:

I’m about to have a yard sale. My brother wants me to help him sell his Lego’s, we are keeping the ones that are already together that way and selling them. However we have several loose Lego’s and no instruction books. How would you recommend selling them?

5. bitbang says:

Anyone has tried selling on oldlego.com? They claim to be fees free…

6. Nicole says:

Hi Tom,
    I would like to sell my sons old Legos. Right now we have 45lbs of Legos. They are all sorted according to color only. All sets have been broken up. There are also 150 mini figures. Most of the mini figures are common figures, but there are at least 20 popular mini figures from Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Batman and etc. Having never sold something like this before, I am wondering how I should go about pricing the lot?
    Thanks,
    Nicole

7. Rebecca says:

I have a new/ in box set of mars mission 7697. I’m trying to figure out how much it’s worth and where the best place to sell it would be. A little research has shown me that it was made in 2007. The box has been opened, but the plastic bags within have not and the directions are there as well. The condition of the box is excellent except for the fact that it was opened gently. I tried the brickpicker site, but received an error. Not sure if you have any answers for me or another site I can check? Thanks.

• Tom Alphin says:

Rebecca,
      Sets which are opened but the bags are still sealed will sell somewhere between the “new” and “used” prices on bricklink.com if you sell the set on Ebay. It should sell for somewhere between 35 and 55$.

8. Brian says:

Great article! Just a few questions for you today, and thanks for your time. Have you ever been able to put together a set from a random bunch of Lego bricks you got, and does that set have resale value? My reason for asking is my son received a massive amount of bricks, some of the pieces look like they are from sets, but we’re not too sure which ones and what not… He’s hoping if he finds out what sets, he’ll be able to put them together and resell them whole. Is there a market for this? What’s the best way to find what sets he has from just a bunch of pieces? Will it matter he doesn’t have boxes or instructions, as long as he has the correct parts? And lastly, Where’s the best place for him to put them up for sale?
    Thanks so much!
    B

• Tom Alphin says:

Brian,
      Look at the minifigures and the bricks with Stickers or printed logos, since they are the best way to guess what sets are contained within the larger box. It is extremely time consuming to sort out the used sets, but it is possible and the sets can be valuable if they are complete and in pretty good condition. Good luck!

—tom

9. Patricia says:

Are Craigslist, Ebay and Etsy the only resale sites for Legos? I’m kinda looking for a site that picks up my used sets, prices them then sends me a check. Does this exist?

10. MERad says:

I have an almost complete set of LEGO Cafe Corner (Café Corner) 10182 Modular Building, which i was shocked to find selling unopened for over $3k on ebay. I can’t seem to find the tower or the Hotel sign, which are probably key pieces, but I could probably dig around a bit and they may turn up. Do you think there is any value in trying to sell what I do have, and if so how could I set a price?

11. Michell Gibson says:

I have been sitting on my stepsons Legos for 8 years now. I know for sure that I bought him. Indiana Jones, Café Corner, Pirates of the Caribbean, 3 different Star wars and all the Bioniocle characters between 2007 and 2010. The collection is a total of 1998 through 2012. Easily 150 lbs. unsorted, 20lbs sorted by size. 200 mini figures, 20 action figures, 20 vehicle’s, 20 airplanes, 20 space vehicle’s, 10 dinosaurs, 10 dumpsters, cranes, backhoes. A Military set with trucks, tanks and boats that I cant find on line. All These made and in whole. When we moved in 2010 out of our house both my step son and his dad refused to box up the upstairs play room off the hundred’s of Lego sets. I told them both that when I sold them they would SORRY. Well I am over whelmed. Thank god I found this site that gave me a clue as how to proceed. I am going to put on line through Craig’s List in the next week and will post on this forum how to get to it.

12. Judy Brown says:

I have alot of Lego divided in colors

13. Deb says:

I have approx 60 lbs of legos, generally sorted by color. Lots of characters. Star wars, harry potter, etc. etc. Instruction pamphlets. Misc box of wheels, etc. Collection from two boys over many, many years. How do I sell?

• Tom Alphin says:

There is no easy answer – you will make more money if you sort into complete sets, but it is a lot of work. If you want to get pretty good money at low effort, list it on craigslist or ebay with photos of all the instruction manuals. Be clear that you should have most of the parts, but some stuff may have gotten lost over the years.

14. Richard says:

I have just over 100 Lego figures, they’re very mismatched. In order to sell them do I have to somehow reassemble them to their original self or would somebody buy them ‘as is’.

15. Rikki Kolowich says:

Hello, I am wondering how much to sell my Lego Architecture sets for? I have 18 different sets with the boxes and instructions and all the pieces are there. I have put them together once or twice. They are in good condition. Plus some of the sets are retired. Can you give me a suggested price. I have had people offer $20 bucks for 18 different sets and I think that is too low of price.
    Thanks,